Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fire by Night by Lynn Austin

Book 2 of Refiner’s Fire. The drama of the Civil War unfolds through the eyes of two very different Northern girls. Lovely Julia Hoffman has always enjoyed the carefree life of her well-to-do family, but when she fails to attract the attention of Rev. Nathaniel Greene, a fierce abolitionist, she determines to bring meaning to her empty and shallow existence. When she becomes a Union nurse, her eyes are opened to the realities of war and suffering. She also meets Phoebe, who has entered the army under false pretenses--and whose journey to understanding herself, as well as the tumultuous world about her, is revealed with sensitivity and drama.

My Review - This book started out very slowly for me mainly because I thought there would be more linking the first book to this book. But once I got into the book it was really good. I loved the underlying love story and how it worked out with both Julia and Phoebe. I can't wait to get the next book to read it.

No comments: