Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Proper Pursuit by Lynn Austin

When Violet Hayes ventures to Chicago during the time of the World's Fair, her one goal is to find her mother, who has been missing from her life since she was nine. Naïve, impressionable, and highly imaginative (having secretly ingested a diet of romance novels and true crime stories at school), Violet stays in Chicago under the care of her grandmother and her three great aunts. It is here that her perspectives on life are opened as she is exposed to the world about her--from high society to the poor immigrant families; from the suffragette movement to the security of a suitable marriage match. As Violet contemplates what course her life will take, she will discover the missing parts of her family's past--and, ultimately, Violet will discover herself.

My Review - When I first started reading this book I wasn't sure I'd be able to get through it...Quiet honestly Violet got on my nerves at first. But I was sucked into this book after reading some. But I loved the twist with Silas and Violet at the end. And I really liked the story of her mother. I thought it was amazing how different the world was back in the 1890's.

I've kind of been on a Lynn Austin kick for the past few months. I just recently decided to try to read all of her books before the end of the year. In case you didn't know I'm kind of OCD about how I read books. I want to start with the first books that the author writes and read them in the order written. I only have about four more Lynn Austin books to read. :)

No comments: