Sunday, May 22, 2011

Grammy's Chocolate Cookies

A few years ago at Christmas I made two different kinds of chocolate cookies. One was Grammy's Chocolate Cookies and the other was Giant Chocolate Sugar Cookies. I know I got both of the recipes out of the cookbook, Martha Stewart's Cookies. But the catch is I remember everyone liking one of the cookies but not the other one. So I decided that this week I'd make one recipe and next week I'd make the other one. So without further rambling here is the recipe for Grammy's Chocolate Cookies along with some pictures...

Ingredients:
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Sanding sugar, for rolling.

Directions:
1. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat to combine. Reduce speed to low, and gradually add flour mixture; beat to combine. Form dough into a flattened disk, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Roll each ball in sanding sugar. Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating halfway through. Transfer to a rack to cool for 5 minutes. Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.

The flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt sifted together! Then all the goodness in the mixing bowl! YUMMY!

The flattened disk before it went in the fridge to chill. I let my dough chill for 2 hours. And last night when I made these I only made half the batch so the other half is still chilling. And then a picture of cookies ready to be ate! Can we say YUMMY again?? :)


I'll be hopefully making the Giant Chocolate Sugar Cookies next weekened. More YUMMYness!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those look oh so good! I am a bit of a cookie addict...
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog.:)
I am happily following back.