Saturday, May 28, 2011

Roseflower Creek by Jackie Lee Miles

"The morning I died it rained. Poured down so hard it washed the blood off my face."

Thus begins the story of ten-year-old Lori Jean, whose short life and early death are woven into this affecting novel set in the 1950s rural South. Abandoned by her father when she was just five years old, Lori Jean's world consists of a weak-willed mother and an alcoholic stepfather who can't keep a steady job. Yet Lori Jean is filled with the curiosity and hope common to all children.

When Lori Jean uncovers her stepfather's secret, everything spins out of control and she pays the ultimate price for what she knows.

But through this heart-wrenching story comes surprising tribute to the human heart's ability to heal and love despite the most difficult circumstances.

My Review - This book was incredibly long and it didn't even get good until like the last 25 to 50 pages of the book. Most of the rest was just filler and stuff that didn't even matter to the plot. I admittedly skipped chapters here and there just because it wasn't anything to do with the big picture. When I go to the last chapter I was like oh my gosh it continues. And when I finally finished there was a sigh of relief. I also didn't like how since the person was from the south they didn't know how to speak correctly. I'm from the south and majority of the time I speak correctly. It was an insult to the south. Sorry, just didn't care for this book but stuck with it. Still only gets one star.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved the book---my kids have all read it in turn. I'm not from the south so perhaps that part of it didn't strike me as odd since sometimes I hear news reports with people who might not speak as well as they could. I enjoyed the book and might go back to re read it to see what I might have missed in it that you didn't enjoy.

Thanks for your review :)